Monday, February 1, 2016

Language Discrimination, Language Diversity and Bias

Discrimination comes in all kinds of forms. Recently I experienced cultural discrimination for speaking Spanish while in Mexico. More specifically while at a social activity during a company retreat, I spoke in Spanish to one of the co-founders of one of my clients. The following day the other co-founder (a non-Spanish speaker) was apparently furious with me for doing so and demonstrated her irritation by mistreating badly. 

I know lots of people have been on the recipient end of someone else's fury over said actions. This occurrence provoked me to think about why some have such a visceral reaction to others speaking a second language. Clearly, some people believe you must be speaking about them in an offensive way. Others may experience some level of personal insecurity when not understanding the language, leading to acts of anger and frustration. 

I've travelled outside the U.S. and I grew up bilingual. However, as a resident of the US I believe our ethnocentric attitude about our culture is the culprit behind language discrimination in the US. Others who say, “Speak English, we’re in America”, frequently express this disposition! I agree one should speak the local language of one's resident country, but what happens when you're fully bilingual? Shouldn’t we all have the freedom to speak English and another language if desired? 

I resigned from working with that client and the went on an amazing trip to Morocco. Morocco has a rich history in trade and is a mecca for diversity and multiculturalism.  In Morocco two languages are spoken officially including Arabic and Berber, and unofficially French. During my eight-day tour of the country through the bustling city of Marrakech, the snow covered mountains of Atlas, the rust-colored dunes of the Sahara desert and the seaside city of Esssaouira; I heard all kinds of local and European languages. I was completely delighted to be around so many international folks expressing themselves in their native tongue and culture. At one point our guide Mohammed said, "to understand a culture, you must understand their language." I couldn't agree more!

In Morocco I learned approximately 10 new words In Arabic. I also learned this community of Islamic believers is deeply connected to their customs and spirituality. "En Shala," (God willing) is an expression commonly used in every day vernacular and one I readily adopted. Each and every time I greeted a Moroccan or Berber in their native tongue, we instantly connected and joy permeated the energy between us. Learning other key phrases, more about their beliefs, religion and customs helped me better communicate and gain insights about some of my own bias regarding Islamic religion and practices.  In the states we hear a lot of inaccurate information about the Muslim community creating a spirit of fear and insecurity. The Muslim people I met in Morocco we’re kind, warm and considerate. New flash: a headscarf doesn’t make you a terrorist. We really must stop making such erroneous assumptions. 


Language is intimately attached to culture and vice versa. Opening up our minds to having a cultural experience through language can be fun, educational and enjoyable. Discovery can happen from a positive disposition about someone else's culture, while arrogance and an ethnocentric attitude can lead to discrimination. In a global culture with a multitude of languages and cultures, let us celebrate our uniqueness as we're all part of the same tribe called - humans. 

Deborah Castillero
Founder, Bilingual Children's Enterprises
www.tipitom.com
(917) 913.1300

12 comments:

  1. Love it! Could not agree more. Thanks for sharing! Saludos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for article! Well travelled people embrace differences and are enthralled and curious about language. What a wonderfully, rich experience to have been in Morocco, wow wee, l so want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you're ready let me know and I'll share more about my experience in Morocco : )

      Delete
  3. Thank you for article! Well travelled people embrace differences and are enthralled and curious about language. What a wonderfully, rich experience to have been in Morocco, wow wee, l so want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up listening to my mom and my aunt speak Irish to each other. I am sad now that I am not bilingual myself. But I am always brought back to feelings of love and safety when I am surrounded by people speaking other languages. Thanks for this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful thing and very much part of my DNA. It's never too late. Perhaps start playing around with DuoLingo.

      Delete
  5. Muy bien Deborah. Nunca te intimides con una persona racista. De ultima, ellos son los que tienen un problema. I'm so glad that you can navigate different cultures. Some people are stock just in one, and that makes them more ignorant of the world. At the end we all live in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Ramón. Si ser bilingüe y bicultural es una cosa tan linda que enriquezca la vida, mi vida. Soy orgullosa de mi cultural y eso nunca cambiará.

      Delete